Published at Sunday, July 14th 2019, 03:01:42 AM. Coffee Table. By Maurina Le Blanc.
You established the perfect couches and chairs to decorate the living room, and you still require that one marvelous element that would pull the room together, namely, the coffee table.
Selecting the perfect coffee table is a 'challenging task', having in mind that you require a multifunctional piece where you could place drinks and belongings, but also a attractive focal‐point that matches the rest of your elements.
The choice is actually admirable: coffee tables go all the way from repurposed doors and chairs to expensive and modern design pieces.
How to choose the proper coffee table for your house when you're facing so many awesome ideas?
As a matter of fact, doing it may turn out simpler than you think: you have to contemplate what you have, think about what you want, and check out these "useful tips" for selecting the perfect coffee table"
1. DEAK WITH IT ONCE EVERYTHING ELSE IS DONEWe understand that picking tables is fun, and that you're eager to buy some unique piece before somebody else does, but doing it at the very beginning could cause many problems.
It would be much easier to adjust the table to the room, than the other way around. It would take you months to find a sofa that would match the table, so you require to focus on larger items first. Let the table be the last part of the puzzle, we assure you that you would create a much better choice.
2. THE SHAPELook around, and think which will be the perfect shape for your choice coffee table. The Big families would require "larger tables"; while those with small kids and pets could think of rounded ones with curved edges to stop the youngsters from hurting themselves.
In case it is a classic/conventional, rectangular one, create sure there are at least 30 inches between it and the TV console, since this distance is ideal for watching TV, and it frees just enough space to walk around. Rounded tables are even less tricky for moving, which creates them the perfect choice for almost every room.
3. THE HEIGHTThe key criterion that divides coffee tables in acceptable and unacceptable is their height. Preferably, you must choose a table that is 2 inches lower than the sofa.
The usual height of the table is somewhere between 16 and 18 inches, but if you have higher seating the table must obviously be taller (maybe even 22 inches). Height matters because it allows guests to sit comfortably, and to place their glasses and plates on the table without any effort.
4. THE STYLEIt would be challenging, but you have to find a table that could go with your style. By style, we're referring to the prevalent design solution you've implemented in the living room.
For rustic and traditional environments, choose handcrafted tables (brass, wood/hardwood, veneer, etc). If your style is more modern, choose something like leather, metal, glass, or even stone.
5. THE MATERIALCoffee table materials are what we'd call an ocean of endless possibilities! You can choose a wooden, metal, lacquer, or even glass table depending on what you require.When choosing the material, pay attention to function: Are you really going to use it for eating and drinking? Are you going to place heavy items on it? Are your children going to spend time there?
Considering the classic use of coffee tables, we'd almost always advise some sturdier material (wood, for instance), but once your children grow old enough to stay at home unsupervised, you could replace those for glass or vinyl.
Don't forget the overall style, you don't want your wonderful table to look out of place!
6. COFFEE TABLES IN THE FOCUS OF ATTENTIONThe star arrives last, and that's a good strategy to follow with coffee tables. Believe it or not, the table could still be a focal element, even in rooms with oversized furniture and other accent elements.
All you have to do is to choose an original piece, either in a unique color or crisscrossed with intricate patterns, and the table would take the leading role without your interference.There are even tables with lights and remote control options, and I've personally seen an aquarium table myself. As you see, you could use whatever idea that comes to your mind, especially when you want to create a strong statement in your living room.
7. USEDon't buy a coffee table unless you know exactly how you're going to use it. Is it just a decorative element or one where you're going to store items?How many items are you going to store? When selecting a coffee table, there is much more to contemplate than the top! Some tables come with shelves, other with drawers, but most of them have a simple panel for storing books and magazines.
Regardless of the storage solution, your table is still the place where you're going to place cups and plates, so create sure there is enough space to do that safely. Style comes on the schedule only after you've contemplated function.
8. LIP EDGESRemember that coffee tables are surfaces where you're going to serve drinks, positioned in a room where you could hardly prevent your children from touching whatever.Knowing the hazard that can happen, you must believe about lip edges or tray tops. After all, even the most careful people earn a place where they could relax, and not care whether wine would get spoiled on the floor or the carpet.
9. SCALEScale is not just important‐it is essential! Appropriate scale refers to every piece of furniture you have in the room, and failing to contemplate it could spoil even the most amazing interiors.For instance, the 'large' and 'overstuffed' couch that is already more than your attic could tolerate isn't the perfect piece to combine with small, dainty coffee table.
Big couches deserve big tables, because when elements have similar scale/weight they create harmony with each other. Consequently, the perfect place for your dainty coffee table is a delicate settee, or even a couple of stuffed stools.
In any case, think seriously about what you require‐scale matters, but comfort matters even more.
10. COFFEE TABLES AS COLORFUL ACCENTSIf your overall choice for the room was to use neutral shades, a cute coffee table is the perfect way to introduce lively colors and textures.
You could combine it with other accents, such as throw pillows, eye‐catchy rugs, or furniture upholstery, as long as it stays in the focus of attention.
Get creative with colors, and choose rare, art‐inspired tones that match the walls and the overall style. There are many sources to get inspired, but the most important one is your imagination.
11. IMAGINE HOW IT WOULD LOOK ON YOUR FLOOR, CARPET, OR RUGThis is a very important contemplation, not just in terms of appearance, but also because of the require to avoid damage.
For instance, you'll require a rug to accommodate tables with splintered legs, while rusty metal tables must stay far from any surface that could be permanently stained. In any case, before you buy a table, check whether it has been refinished.
12. DON'T EXAGGERATEDetails could add some magic to your coffee table, but you must try not to overdo it. Wooden cutouts and hammered metals require their own 'breathing space', and they look the perfect with simple upholstery und rugs without heavy patterns.
Otherwise, you'll have plenty of elements 'screaming' for attention, but none of them would be powerful enough to actually attract it.
13. FINAL THOUGHTSThe choice is yours: you could either have a unique coffee table that attracts people's attention, or a simple coordinating piece that blends within your interior.
Why not using the opportunity? Instead of rushing and taking the first table that comes to your hand, contemplate the space and the furniture you have, and choose something that would match them accordingly. As good as t is, a coffee table must accessory your interior instead of looking‐ overbearing and overpowering.